Healthy Illinois Campaign
Statewide Community Organizer
The Healthy Illinois Campaign works to make quality, affordable health care coverage accessible to all people in Illinois. Healthy Illinois is supported by over 125 Civic, faith, business leaders and health care institutions across the state. Started in 2014, the Healthy Illinois Campaign is working to pass health care for all people of Illinois including undocumented immigrants. Healthy Illinois will work to pass statewide legislation in 2017 to gain healthcare for undocumented immigrants in Illinois.
The Healthy Illinois Campaign over the course of 3 years has worked with partners across the state to protect the All-Kids Program that provides healthcare for all children in Illinois including the undocumented, held grassroots organizing trainings around healthcare policy and advocacy, and worked to develop new health-care policy to provide health care for all.
This is a high-intensity organizing position that involves working with an statewide aggressive, innovative organizing campaign. Healthy Illinois is located in the Pilsen, Chicago neighborhood at Alivio Medical Center and has made a strategic decision to hire an additional organizer with demonstrated capacity to develop and drive organizing outside of Chicago. Specifically focused on the collar counties and Central Illinois. Working with our current campaign organizer and our diverse steering committee the position is meant to help build grassroots & grasstops power in partnership with communities in the Collar Counties of Chicago and Central Illinois to pass statewide legislation at the end of 2017. Specifically Healthy Illinois is interested in partnering with leaders in Aurora, Waukegan, Joliet, Berwyn, Cicero, Bloomington-Normal, Champaign-Urbana, Springfield and Peoria.
The Healthy Illinois Executive Board, Staff and Steering Committee the Statewide Community Organizer will continue to implement a comprehensive organizing strategy for Healthy Illinois.
The Organizer will implement the strategy for the organizing and communications of Healthy Illinois. A new position in the organization, the Organizer will have the opportunity to build organizing work statewide for Healthy Illinois from the ground up that engages grassroots partners. Applicants must demonstrate a clear vision for building our organizing work, along with a firm grasp of the statewide political arena in order to pass statewide legislation.
-The Organizer reports to the current Campaign Lead Organizer and the Healthy Illinois Executive Board. The Organizer will coordinate with the Healthy Illinois Steering Committee.
· Work with the Healthy Illinois Campaign Director, Steering Committee and Executive Board to develop and implement a comprehensive organizing strategy – including both long term and rapid response projects – to advance the goals of our campaign;
· Develop and maintain strong relationships with partner organizations in Aurora, Waukegan, Joliet, Berwyn, Cicero, Bloomington-Normal, Champaign-Urbana, Springfield and Peoria and lead volunteers of Healthy Illinois members and partners;
· Plan and support press events, community meetings & organizing trainings organized by Healthy Illinois
· Identify and train community leaders for press events, community meetings & organizing trainings in both English and Spanish;
· Contribute to Healthy Illinois development strategy by aligning organizing with the organization’s overall fundraising objectives; ability to brainstorm and deliver fundraising opportunities in particular will be taken into consideration as a benchmark of success;
· Prepare media materials, including press releases, media advisories, talking points, etc., and manage the flow of news about the organization to the media;
· Track news clips and continually assess and improve Healthy Illinois media footprint;
· Build relationships with state legislators in order to advocate with leaders to Springfield
· Strong passion for immigrant justice and realizing social justice in the present political climate.
· Organizing experience of 2 years at least.
· Strong communication skills, both written and oral both in English and Spanish.
· Ability to build relationships and influencing others toward outcomes, with demonstrated ability to partner effectively with others to reach big goal.
· Track-record of success working with new and traditional media.
· Ability to implement rapid response communication strategies.
· Thrives working in a fast paced, entrepreneurial, goal-oriented environments.
· Valid Drivers License and Vehicle required.
· Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent preferred but not required.
Start Date: December 2017 –January 2018
Ideal Location: Chicago, IL; Organizing will be statewide and specifically in suburban Cook and Central Illinois. Organizer does not have to live in Chicago but willingness to live in focus area is preferable.
Compensation: 1 year contract with payment to commensurate to experience. Full benefits; Healthcare, 401 K, Dental.
This is a rolling application with preference given to candidates who apply by April, 2017. Please submit a resume and three references that we can contact via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include Organizer – LAST NAME, FIRST NAME in the subject line. No phone calls please.